I’ve worked in the nonprofit sector for nearly 20 years. I’ve run nonprofits, managed various programs and now I’m on a quest to start my own.
I’ve actually already officially formed it, and I’m in the process of applying for my tax-exempt status.
Despite my extensive background in the field, I was reluctant to start my own. I had to remind myself that I know what to do. I just had to put it into practice.
I have to tell you, I’m doing all the things I’ve been teaching. Running a successful nonprofit organization is not accidental. There is a method to the madness.
As they say, success leaves a trail. I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel, I’m going to follow the formula.
So, since I know there are many of you who either have recently started a nonprofit organization or you want to start one, I want to share some insights with you.
Here are 5 things you need to do to ensure your nonprofit gets off to a winning start.
- Set your intention – what is it you want to accomplish through this organization. As Steven Covey said in his book “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” – start with the end in mind. What unmet need are you addressing? How will your organization resolve the problem?
- Write a mission statement – your purpose needs to be clear so there is accountability. It’s also a guide to keep you on track. Make sure all of your actions align with this mission.
- Create a strategic plan – it needs to cover at least 3 years. This gives you the opportunity to think through your plan of action. Once it’s done, you have your marching orders.
- Create a budget – you need to get clear about what it costs to operate your organization and implement programming.
- Recruit board members – Identify who needs to be at the table to help accomplish your goals and recruit them to serve on your board of directors.
There are a lot of steps involved in starting a nonprofit organization, but these are the fundamental things that must happen before you set out on your mission.
If you want further details on what it takes to start a nonprofit organization and how to recruit board members, I’ve created two new courses that show you how to do both.
“So, You Want to Start a Nonprofit?” is a self-paced online course you can enroll in and start now.
“How to Recruit and Retain an Effective Board of Directors” launches on August 1st, but registration is open now. If you register now, you’ll get a special bonus offering for early registration.
I hope you take advantage of these courses. They were created with YOU in mind.
Until next time…
Peace & Blessings!